"...Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise" --Alma 37:6

Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Family Systems Theory

In my Family Relations class we have been discussing the family systems theory. This theory views family as one unit. The individuals actions affect this unit. It's easier explained as a car. Each component in the car is necessary to make it run. If just one component is broken or operating incorrectly, the entire system is thrown off. This is how the family systems theory works.

I thought about this and to me it makes sense. Just one person in a family can change the entire attitude or function of the family. A family, as previously defined on this blog, consists of a mother and father, married, and their children. when that basic definition is changed the family is no longer a family, but is turned or warped into something that people try to pass off as a family.

(I realize my comments may offend some, but this is how I feel. If you do not agree,...tell me why and maybe we can have a more civilized discussion versus lewd comments.)

The family unit, once altered, is warped, and the components do not function as they are supposed to. To continue with the car analogy, if the car components are not functioning correctly, how long can the car run before it desperately needs repair. Not long. Sometimes, more often than not, the car just shuts down and refuses to go any further. Smokes emerges from the hood, and you're stuck on the side of the road, watching all the other cars pass you by.

Recently, as I've driven on the interstate, and local freeways, I've noticed the amount of abandoned broken down cars has greatly increased. I mention this because, continuing the analogy, the family is being warped and distorted at a more frequent rate, and just as it is changing, so are the components breaking down and the entire unit abandoned through divorce, or other form of legal separation.

Many say that the family is in the best place ever. That society being so accepting of other family forms is the best thing for everybody. Is it? Is changing the core of life really a good thing. We cannot abandon the family structure so easily. The family unit, or structure, did not fail. The components within the structure did. We need to focus on the components and how to put our best into repairing them so that we can get back on the freeway and to our final destination. For the journey is where we become the leaders of tomorrow, parents of tomorrow, and the saviors of the world.

I bear my solemn testimony of the family. I know with all my heart that the family is crucial. I know that through righteousness and temple work, families can be together forever. My heart rejoices at that thought! The idea of being with all of my family, every single person is so wonderful. I thank my Heavenly Father a thousand times over for this wonderful blessing. I pray that all may receive this wonderful blessing. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment