"...Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise" --Alma 37:6

Friday, October 14, 2011

Gender Roles

I am now going to discuss a very sensitive topic. There will be those that disagree with what I say, and may have strong opinions about it. I respect your opinions and what you believe. I ask, very simply and respectfully, that you keep that opinion to yourself. You may have an opinion contrary to mine, but I do not wish to debate over who is right, and who is wrong. This site is very simply to give my opinion, and provide sources for my opinion. If you have a contrary opinion, please post it on your own blog. Do not post on mine.

Now to my topic.

In my Family Relations course, we discussed gender roles and homosexuality. As some of my readers probably already know, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not condone homosexual relationships. The Church gave out a statement following the trial regarding Prop 8 in California. Prop 8 Response : here's the link. Simply put we believe that marriage between a man and a woman to be divinely appointed by God. The Family: A Proclamation to the World gives the Church's first official statement on marriage and family and its great divinity.

I have no eloquence with words, nor can my words persuade many. Gratefully, there are others whose words and voices are stronger than mine that speak truth. First I am providing a link for an article that is a transcription of an interview with an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Elder Dallin H. Oaks and a member of the Seventy Elder Lance B. Wickman: Same-Gender Attraction. Hopefully this article/interview gives you, my readers, some insight.

Yet another article I am providing a link for is a research article done by A. Dean Byrd. He has a Ph.d and several other qualifications. This is his research article discussing the idea that people are born homosexual: "Born That Way". I agree with his findings that homosexuality is not something people are born with. Homosexuality is a choice. That is all I have to say.

I am going to provide another link to an article by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, also entitled, "Same-Gender Attraction".

My official statement on this topic is that homosexuality is a choice. One can the attraction, but not act on it. To act on the attraction is a personal choice.

For those wishing to do more research I am leaving a list of links here at the end of this blog:





No comments:

Post a Comment