"...Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise" --Alma 37:6

Friday, March 29, 2013

Construction Zones

Have you ever gone on a road trip and gotten stuck in a construction zone? If not let me give you a brief description. There you are in your car driving 75 miles an hour and you are cruising. The music is playing and life is good. Then out of the corner of your eye you see a flash of bright orange. A pit forms in the bottom of your stomach and you groan as another orange sign comes into view. It reads, "Road Work Ahead: Speed Limit Reduced".

You reduce your driving speed to about 50-55 miles an hour. Another sign appears and your groan becomes an expression of, "Oh man!" as you realize the construction zone is 3 miles long. Your awesome road trip, to...wherever you're going will now take even longer. Things were going so well too. Dang it!

As you drive slowly through the 3 mile construction zone pretty, bright orange construction zone cones and signs decorate the otherwise simple grey of the road. Those 3 miles seem to go on forever, and then suddenly in the distance another bright orange sign. It reads, "End Road Work". Freedom!!! You hit the gas and get going at 75 miles an hour again. 

I have hit a construction zone in my life and I pray it doesn't last long. I also pray that I am not the only one that has construction zones in their life. I see these construction zones as times in my life when I have to make a decision or come to understand something and I just haven't yet. It's right on my fingertips but I can't quite tell what it is. 

If you ever hit a construction zone in your life, don't panic,...yet. Take a deep breath and drive right into it. It will seem endless, but I promise there is an end in sight. I just...haven't found it yet. When I do, I will be sure to let you know where it is. But understand that our ends will be different. They are very different for each individual person. 
 
That is a small frustration attached to construction zones. But hey that's life right?


"I've always heard every ending is also a beginning. I'd like to believe that's true" 
~Emily Prentiss, Criminal Minds~


3 comments:

  1. You should keep up the blog! Its great! Thanks for being my forever friend. Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, first off I love that you quoted Criminal Minds. Best show ever! Second, I've felt like the past two semesters have been serious construction zones for me. It's interesting, however, to look back at past construction zones in your life. Well, at least for me it is. Mostly because it leaves me in awe that I've made it through, I've come out on the other side. The downfall, is there's never too long before another one appears down the road. Upside, we can use these times to learn how to rely on the Lord and His plan for us instead of putting on the breaks and trying to turn around/find a detour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found it helpful to try to see construction zones & detours not as delays or set backs in our journey that is life, but as the journey.

    To quote a great band, Aerosmith, "Life's a journey, not a destination"

    ReplyDelete