"...Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise" --Alma 37:6

Friday, June 28, 2013

The Wonders of Children

It is amazing how many wonderful little miracles God can place in your life. I've been depressed lately because I wasn't recognizing the wonderful blessings that I have. I get to see my sister's cute little 9 month old baby every day. I get to spend my days with 10-12 preschool age children who love me and shower me with "flowers" (they are really weeds, but who cares :) ). 

I think sometimes we lose sight of what we have because we focus on what we do not have. We focus on the negative and completely miss what's right in front of us. Like that best friend who has always been there through all of your ups and downs, or the sister who has seen you through all of your awkward stages. 

I realized this week that I have been greatly blessed and that I was missing out on those blessings because of the negative attitude I had been having towards my blessings. Being a preschool teacher full time isn't easy. You have about 12-14 children in your care from 8:30am-5:30pm sometimes later. Not to mention the family politics that arise when a child starts calling you "Mommy", or when the parents are divorced and refuse to be in the same building at the same time or talk to each other. Ever. 

But despite all of the downsides, there are 12-14 children who love me and I get to see their smiling faces every day. They give me hugs, and "flowers", and cuddle with me when the thunder and lightening scare them. They tell me they love every 30 seconds and I can't help but respond in kind. I tell them that I love them, and I cuddle them, and I give them so many hugs and and kisses in a day so that they never forget that I love them. 

Will they remember me when they grow up. Probably not. Will I really be the most influential person in their lives. Probably not. But I gave, or will give them, a head start. I am giving them the beginnings of learning so that they can navigate their way through this world and when they hit hard times, I hope I taught them well enough so that they remember that they are not alone. That somewhere out there, is someone who loves them, and will never stop loving them. 

I am a caregiver and am proud to say that in my heart I have adopted 14 children and they give me hope. 


No comments:

Post a Comment